Every 3D printer needs some type of material to print with, from PLA to wood and quality does matter here.
I’ve gathered some of the best 3D printing materials in this article so you don’t have to track them yourself.
This is by far the most common type of 3D printing material that people will use. It’s cheap, durable, and easy to use with FDM printers. Just insert it into your spool holder and get to printing!
Below are some of the best PLA filaments out there:
- Geeetech PLA Filament 1.75mm – very competitive price and comes in your standard range of colors. Vacuum packed to reduce moisture content with minimal warping, no odor, clogging or bubbles. Money back guarantee!
- SUNLU PLA Filament 1.75mm – this boasts a high precision 0.02mm tolerance with perfect roundness. It happens to be #1 on Amazon’s ‘Filament 3D Printing Materials’ section so it has a great reputation.
- YOYI PLA Filament 1.75mm – this eco-friendly filament is made out of virgin raw material and has excellent quality control due to strict tolerances. I definitely recommend this for its price (lowest) and quality. The raving reviews on Amazon are a testament to this filament.
- ERYONE PLA Filament 1.75mm – the main thing about this filament is the amazing silky look to it. It does come at a higher price, but when you see the quality it’s easy to see why.
A few tips
1. If you know you aren’t going to be printing for a few days, I’d advise you to retract your filament to protect your printer nozzle.
2. Extend the life of your filament by storing it in a dry, sealed bag or box. Silica gel helps out quite a lot to absorb excess moisture.
ABS is the second most common filament and has quite similar properties to PLA. More heat-resistant than PLA but it does require adequate ventilation at all times.
Below are some of the best ABS filaments out there:
- Rigid Ink ABS 1.75mm filament boasts a massive reduction in extruder jams, failures and poor details. It’s strong and durable, easily sanded after printing and comes in a wide range of colors. 60 day money back guarantee. Highly rated on Amazon!
- The Enotepad ABS 1.75mm filament comes in just black but for its price and quality, I’d recommend this many times over! It is environmentally friendly, non-toxic with low odor and has excellent impact strength. You’re guaranteed a tolerance of ±0.02mm and has a fairly low printing temperature of 220-240°C (428-464°F).
- SUNLU’s ABS 1.75mm filament is another great choice of filament for your printing needs! First off, it’s an ‘Amazon’s choice’ filament with great user ratings and comes well packaged. The range of colors is good and it’s quality boasts abrasion performance, chemical resistance and strong layer adhesion, many factors ideal for filaments. Reviewers say that there is no odor at all and does the job every time.