Dual extrusion is the process of 3D printing with multiple filaments. You can mix colors or different materials with a print head that has two extruders and nozzles. With two spools loaded, the printer alternates between them by printing one at a time.
3D printers have a reputation for being a product that will break the bank, but it doesn’t have to in today’s world. If money is tight, you can choose to get a budget 3D printer that does as great a job as the more expensive 3D printers out there.
Dual extruders tend to be the expensive versions of 3D printers so I’ve made things easier by putting together a simple list of the best dual extruder 3D printers under $1,000.
FlashForge Creator Pro (Under $1,000)
The FlashForge Creator Pro is a highly rated, reliable dual extruder 3D printer that has a big build area and a heated plate for higher quality prints.
It’s a great printer for beginners who are after an overall great printer with many features and specs that make it easy to use and has the ability to be modified to your benefit.
3D printing takes a lot of trial and error, whether it comes to types of filament, temperature settings, slicing software etc., The FlashForge Creator Pro eases that process, allowing you to focus more on enjoying the experience and creating great items.
- Great accuracy and performance
- Quick to get started out of the box
- Low hassle and short learning curve
- Doesn’t require tinkering to get great prints
- Firmware flexibility
- Highly customized print settings
- Great customer service
- Sometimes takes re-balancing of nozzle height so it doesn’t knock into your print
- Loading and unloading filament can be a chore as spools are in the back
- Bed surface isn’t the best but it can be updated
- Sturdy metal frame
- Warp-resistant aluminum build platform
- Heavy-duty z-axis guide rod for steady and precise movement
- New acrylic cover to enclose the chamber and insulate prints
- LED light to illuminate printing area
- Integrated LCD screen
- New extruder wiring router to protect wiring from wear and tear
- Supports printing with several different filament such as PLA, ABS, PVA, HIPS, PETG and TPU
What’s in the Box?
- The Creator Pro
- Dual Extruder
- 2x Spool holders
- 2x Random 1KG filament spools
- 2x Spare blue platform stickers
- 2x Filament guide tubes
- 2 M3×8 screws, 3 wrenches in different sizes, 1 spare leveling knob, 2 spare Teflon tubes, 1 unclogging pin and grease in tool bag
- Extruder’s accessory kit Containing turbo fan duct, 2 M3×8 screws, M3×6 screw
- Power cord
- USB cable
- Injected PC top cover
- 1 x 16GB SD card (contains software ReplicatorG and FlashPrint, test sample files and operation manual)
It’s a well received printer which gets the job done without the need for upgrades and modifications. Some printers take months of tuning and trial and error before things are smoother, this is different.
It’s a great choice for your first printer or an addition to your printer farm.The minor issues that this printer has such as spools sliding off the holder can be fixed by printing off stuff that works from Thingiverse.
I would recommend getting yourself a Flashforge Creator Pro for your first dual extruder printer. You’ll get many hours of stress-free printing at the quality you desire.
BIBO 2 Touch Laser 3D Printer (Under $1,000)
The BIBO 2 is a dual extruder 3D printer packed with features and highly rated by it’s users at a great price.
It goes above and beyond when looking at printing quality, overall performance and user-friendliness.
It comes with a heated plate, allowing you to print in ABS and other materials which require a higher temperature throughout the printing process, as well as being in a solid enclosure.
The BIBO 2 is a printer that is easy to setup and gives great customer support along the way. For the features and abilities it has, I would recommend it as your next printer purchase.
- Machine Size: 18.4*14*14.7(in)
- Build Size: 214 x 186 x 160(mm）
- Printing Layer Resolution: 0.05-0.3mm
- Max Nozzle Temp: 270℃
- Filament Type: ABS, PLA, Dissolvable filament (HIPS), Flexible filament (TPU)
- Print performance is excellent, especially considering the price
- Great lifetime customer support to help you along the way
- Laser engraver
- Modifications and repairs are fairly simple to do
- Solid enclosure and frame
- Excellent customer service
- Customer service is based in China, but they still reply fairly quickly
- Can take some trial and error to get the dual extruder to work perfectly
- Laser engraving module for wood, plastic, leather etc.
- Thick aluminum composite frame
- Full color touch screen which is user friendly and easy to operate
- WiFi control: the included networking feature permits you to control the print via a phone or PC
- Resume printing function
- Filament run-out detection
- Removable heated bed
- Full color touch screen
- Copy printing: dual extruders can print two same objects at one time, cut your printing time at least in HALF
What’s in the Box?
- Bibo 2 3D Printer
- Wifi Module
- Laser Engraving Module
- Acrylic Cover Kit (assembly required)
- 1KG PLA Filament
- SD Card
- Glass Bed
- Glue Stick
- Allen Wrenches
- 1x USB Cable
Being a printer with several features, a decent build size and a durable frame, I would definitely go for the BIBO 2 Touch Laser if you want something able to do more than just the basics.
It’s a 3D printer that will serve your printing desires for years to come, and do it accurately.The copy printing feature is one that can cut your printing time in half if you have multiple smaller objects you want to print.
The enclosure is a highlight as it ensures temperature control inside your printer, very helpful for materials like ABS the acrylic enclosed covers are also removable so you can remove the covers when printing PLA to help cool it better.
FlashForge Dreamer (Under $600 at time of post)
The FlashForge Dreamer is one of the more advanced 3D printers made by the trusted FlashForge name, and it’s performance is second to none.
It not only has a sleek design but it also has many features that give it a higher rating than most other 3D printers out there. Turn your 3D designs into real, tangible objects with a great machine.
Even though it’s made of high quality materials, it’s still more affordable than it’s competition, so just know with this 3D printer you’ll have peace of mind that gives you reliable prints now and far into the future.
You have a trusty enclosed chamber which insulates and protects your prints, especially great for ABS.
You have the standard Wi-Fi connectivity, SD port, a good build volume of 230 x 150 x 140mm, a high resolution color touch screen, full manufacturer’s warranty, lifetime support by FlashForge themselves, and much more.
On top of all of this, it comes with two spools of filament so get active in your 3D printing career with this highly recommended machine. You’ll be able to do great things with it!
- Competitive price for a great quality printer
- Active cooling system, heated bed and wireless connection for ease of use
- Sizable build volume for the price you pay for it
- 100 micron (0.1mm) resolution and can to 75 microns if you lower print speeds
- Bed levelling is fairly easy for this printer
- Uses the dual extruder very efficiently
- Can be ready to go 30 minutes from opening the box
- The location of the spool and it’s size isn’t the best but it can be modified
- It has a plastic frame, but it’s still durable and stable
- The FlashForge filament it comes with doesn’t have too many colors.
- Not compatible with Linux
- Relatively small build volume, but good for the price
- Bed levelling isn’t automatic
- High-end plastic-alloy body/frame
- New 3.5” HD IPS touchscreen
- Enclosed chamber insulates and protects prints
- Build in Wi-Fi to upload files straight to the printer
- Built in 4G memory support with file and folder storage
- Self-developed software FlashPrint; Compatible with Slic3r slicing
- Full manufacturer’s warranty fulfilled by Flashforge Amazon, and free email support provided by expert FlashForge Amazon technicians
- Build volume of 230 x 150 x 150 mm
- FlashPrint software
What’s in the Box?
- FlashForge Dreamer 3D Printer
- Two Spools of Filament (0.6 kg ABS and 0.6 kg PLA)
- USB Cable
- Power cord
- Tool Kits
- 4GB SD Card.
It’s easy to setup, you’re getting support, quality, several features and an all-round great 3D printer so it’s hard not to recommend this printer to purchase.
As long as you own a FlashForge 3D printer, you will be supported effectively with any problems, should you run into any.
This printer will definitely prove it’s worth and should run smoothly for a long time.It’s very comparable to the Ultimaker 2+ which runs at $2,500 so save yourself a pretty penny and go with the FlashForge Dreamer.
QIDI Tech X-Pro (Under $500)
The QIDI Tech X-Pro is a high precision dual extruder 3D printer which is a staple in it’s field. It is equipped with the latest dual extrusion technology, and occupies some of the leading positions in engineering, design, and home/hobby printing.
QIDI Tech is a company that cares about it’s customers and has many 3D printers that show exactly that. Their print quality is high performing and easily beats plenty of the competition out there.
They have over 6 years of manufacturing experience and pride their selves in developing high quality, high performing 3D printers.
It’s perfect for 3D printer hobbyists, schools, designers, professionals and people who just want optimal print quality. This printer doesn’t require a lot of maintenance and simply gets the job done reliably.
It can print with several materials such as PLA, ABS, PETG and flexible materials like TPU. Comes with a free 1-year warranty.
- Print speed: 60mm-150mm
- High resolution of 0.05mm – 0.4mm
- Nozzle max temperature: 250℃
- Build volume: 250 x 150 x 150mm
- Easy to maintain
- Supports Mac OS X
- Doesn’t require much maintenance
- Strong mechanical structure to ensure stable printing.
- No filament run-out protection
- Can’t be used with OctoPi because it doesn’t have a USB printer port, only a port for memory sticks/storage
- May require re-levelling after long prints
- Not the clearest documentation
- Firmware can be a bit flaky but should be okay with a few fixes
- Resume printing function from a loss of power etc.
- QIDI Slicing software, also compatible with Simplify3D
- 4.3 inch touch screen with user-friendly interface
- QIDI one to one customer service, with replies usually within 12 hours, 24 hours at most
- Supports copy/ditto printing
- Flexible magnetic & removable base plate – easy print removal
- Four side air turbo fans to ensure better print quality
- Heated bed which is a 6mm aviation grade aluminum plate (up to 120℃)
- 12mm enhanced guide rod
Most people that purchase this 3D printer are happy with it, minus a few smaller issues but overall it’s a good choice.
The software and firmware could do with some updates and a USB port would be ideal but the most important thing is the print quality.
That is where the QIDI Tech X-Pro excels and at a great price too! It’s a great printer and I would recommend others to get it.
QIDI Tech I (Under $500 Refurbished)
This 3D printer is built for the future. It has a fully metal frame structure which is built for durability, much stronger than a PVC plate or wooden frame, giving your printer more stability during the printing process.
The QIDI Tech I is fully enclosed giving ABS better results due to consistent temperatures within the printer.
Safety is kept in mind as this printer has a number of certificates to show that it’s willing to go steps above other printers to ensure the user has peace of mind.
It of course comes with the dual extruder and an aviation-level aluminum plate that has a completely flat surface that is designed to withstand warping during the heating process.
It comes with easy to use, state of the art software that allows for simple customization of 3D models and printing of complex samples.
The slicing software you use does have an impact on how well your prints turn out, so with the software controls that this slicer gives you, you’ll be at the top of your printing quality level.
You have the QIDI Print software but it’s also compatible with many others you may already use.
Comes with free Amazon product support at time of writing.
- Build volume: 150 x 230 x 150 mm
- Comes with two free spools of filament
- Once setup properly, you’ll get amazing prints
- Top class customer support with good response times and follow up
- Safety certification
- Cost-effective & stable 3D printer
- Only connectivity is through SD card
- Doesn’t have copy printing functions unless you use certain firmware (ditto print feature)
- May not get great results out of the gate but after tinkering it should be great
- Usually shipped from China and can get damaged in transit
- Turbo fan with cooling function
- Leading power supply manufacturer
- Dual extruder through CNC machining process
- Motherboard: Sailfish 7.8 & ATmega 2560 open source firmware
- Easily operated slicing software for high quality prints
This is a great printer, but you have to be willing to spend the time to get the great results it was meant to provide. You’ll need to tinker with parts, settings, temperatures etc.
Using Simplify3D software usually garnishes the best results with this 3D printer, but it is pretty pricey to purchase.
The customer service will keep you on track to make sure you get to the best stage with your printer, and will be willing to send detailed instructions or even replacements parts if necessary.
One user has had thousands of printing hours with their QIDI Tech I printer so give it a try, you won’t be disappointed.