When it comes to model railroading and creating trains, cars or even airplanes to scale, a 3D printer is a modern solution that several users have turned to in recent times. There are plenty of videos out there that show just how excellent the quality can be.
The main challenge though, is choosing a 3D printer that actually provides the ideal features to create these pieces that you desire. In order to help users out, I put together a solid list of 7 of the best 3D printers that you can use for model railroading and similar activities.
Whether you are planning an extensive project or are adding to current ones you have already done, 3D printing is a very cost-effective and practical solution that you should definitely consider.
Just so you can get a feel for what the possibilities are, I’d recommend watching the video below by DIY and Digital Railroad, a YouTuber who has a keen interest in model railroading with 3D printing.
It’s a video that explains how you can print a HO Scale Distribution Center from Thingiverse.
Railroading models usually have different parts to print and they come in varying scales, such as N-scale and G-scale.
The printers in this article consist of either filament 3D printers or resin 3D printers.
Filament printers are known to have good build volumes, so for larger objects, they work perfectly, though you can still get great quality smaller objects. Resin printers are known for their very high quality, but usually have a smaller build volume.
Resin printers are perfect for smaller objects, though you can still print fairly large objects or even split models into multiple prints and stick the pieces together.
In an ideal world, it would be best to have both a filament like the Ender 3 V2 and a resin 3D printer like the Anycubic Photon Mono SE for a great balance.
Both of these are top-quality 3D printers and have cool, convenient features.
For parts that require more detail, you could use the Photon Mono SE for high resolution and quality whereas the Ender 3 V2 would get the job done for larger terrain objects in railroading projects.
Here are some items that people usually print for railroading models:
- Model structures
- Storage tanks
- Rail bumps
- General aviation airplanes
- Loading docks
- Oil drums
- Tunnel entrances
- Small sheds and utility sheds
You can check out this website that sells 3D printed railroading scenic accessories to get an even better idea of what you can accomplish. People usually combine scenic items with parts that they print themselves to create whole railroads.
Now that I’ve explained the basics, let’s get into the list of printers.
The Ender 3 V2 is an affordable, high-quality, and reliable FDM 3D printer that many enthusiasts and hobbyists use as their daily driver.
It’s packed with a good number of features and comes from a manufacturer who’s well-known and highly reputable across the 3D printing community.
The Ender 3 V2 is a great fit for railroading models due to its ability to work with multiple third-party filaments. This can come in handy when you need strong, mechanical parts for your vehicles, silos, and tanks.
It’s quite easy to use and boasts a simple operation. Working with difficult models, you need all the help you can get from a 3D printer, and this is where the Ender 3 V2 excels.
Features such as a spacious build volume, a heated build plate, and power recovery do a lot more than just validate the Ender 3 V2’s sub $270 price tag. It’s capable enough to print large N-scale models without any hassle.
Let’s explore the features and tech specs.
Features of the Ender 3 V2
- Open Build Space
- Carborundum Glass Platform
- High-Quality Meanwell Power Supply
- 3-Inch LCD Color Screen
- XY-Axis Tensioners
- Built-In Storage Compartment
- New Silent Motherboard
- Fully Upgraded Hotend & Fan Duct
- Smart Filament Run Out Detection
- Effortless Filament Feeding
- Print Resume Capabilities
- Quick-Heating Hot Bed
Specifications of the Ender 3 V2
- Build Volume: 220 x 220 x 250mm
- Maximum Printing Speed: 180mm/s
- Layer Height/Print Resolution: 0.1mm
- Maximum Extruder Temperature: 255°C
- Maximum Bed Temperature: 100°C
- Filament Diameter: 1.75mm
- Nozzle Diameter: 0.4mm
- Extruder: Single
- Connectivity: MicroSD Card, USB.
- Bed Levelling: Manual
- Build Area: Open
- Compatible Printing Materials: PLA, TPU, PETG
Being an upgrade over the original Ender 3, the Ender 3 V2 (Amazon) is equipped with a handful of new features, such as an all-new textured glass print bed for improved bed adhesion and effortless print removal.
Those are the kind of features you’ll definitely need when working with railroading models, as well as car and airplane models, especially when quality needs to be at its best.
Another quality of life addition to the V2 is a silent motherboard, allowing whisper-quiet 3D printing and a noiseless operation. If you have your printer set up in your room, this convenient feature won’t disturb your sleep.
There’s also a rotary knob on the extruder to help you feed the filament to the hot end. This makes the whole process painless and easy as compared to most other budget-friendly FDM 3D printers.
Last but not least, the Ender 3 V2 has a 4.3-inch color touch screen that greatly improves navigation and user experience. The UI isn’t dull to work with and keeps things fairly straightforward.
Customer Reviews of the Ender 3 V2
At the time of writing, the Creality Ender 3 V2 has a 4.5/5.0 overall rating, and 74% of the people who bought it have left a 5-star review with plenty of praise.
Users have commended the Ender 3 V2 for its keen attention to detail, high precision, and great overall quality. For railroading models such as basic structures, walls, and loading docks, this machine will surely deliver.
Creality also has a huge community online. This makes it easy for beginners to reach out and get help whenever they get stuck at some point.
One person who bought the Ender 3 V2 for railroading models, in particular, has said that the large build volume has worked out extremely well for them, making it possible to print different railroad models of varying scales.
The filament run-out sensor is also a nice addition to the printer, alarming users beforehand in a case where there’s not enough material to complete the print.
Pros of the Ender 3 V2
- Easy to use for beginners, giving out high performance and much enjoyment
- Relatively cheap and great value for money
- Great support community.
- Design and structure look very aesthetically pleasing
- High precision printing
- 5 minutes to heat up
- The all-metal body gives stability and durability
- Easy to assemble and maintain
- The power supply is integrated underneath the build-plate unlike the Ender 3
- It is modular and easy to customize
Cons of the Ender 3 V2
- A bit difficult to assemble
- Open build space is not ideal for minors
- Only 1 motor on the Z-axis
- Glass beds do tend to be heavier so it may lead to ringing in prints
- No touchscreen interface like some other modern printers
The Ender 3 V2 is a fantastic option for cost-effective and high-quality 3D printing. It is equipped with a good number of features and a hefty build volume thereby being a great choice for printing railroading models on a consistent basis.
Get yourself the Ender 3 V2 from Amazon for some amazing railroading, airplane and car models.
Next up on the list is the brilliant Photon Mono X that comes from a well-established resin 3D printer manufacturer – Anycubic. An SLA 3D printer is your best bet for all those railroading models that require intricate details and high quality.
The Photon Mono X is an MSLA 3D printer that uses advanced printing technology to cure an entire layer of liquid resin at once. This type of resin 3D printing is much faster than SLA or DLP 3D printers.
The Mono X is equipped with an 8.9-inch 4K monochrome LCD to make top-quality prints. It also has a sanded aluminum build plate to offer better adhesion and easier print removal.
Additionally, the build volume of this MSLA machine measures about 192 x 120 x 245mm, which is much larger than many resin 3D printers out there, and more than satisfactory for models such as trains, cars, and other vehicles.
The Mono X costs somewhere around $720 and offers great value for money at this price point. You’re looking at a robust 3D printer with a lot to offer in terms of versatility and features.
I’ve got one myself and it has been holding up very well, producing amazing quality 3D prints with ease.
Let’s check out the features and specifications of the Mono X.
Features of the Anycubic Photon Mono X
- 8.9″ 4K Monochrome LCD
- New Upgraded LED Array
- UV Cooling System
- Dual Linear Z-Axis
- Wi-Fi Functionality – App Remote Control
- Large Build Size
- High-Quality Power Supply
- Sanded Aluminum Build Plate
- Fast Printing Speed
- 8x Anti-Aliasing
- 3.5″ HD Full-Color Touch Screen
- Sturdy Resin Vat
Specifications of the Anycubic Photon Mono X
- Build Volume: 192 x 120 x 245mm
- Layer Resolution: 0.01-0.15mm
- Operation: 3.5″ Touch Screen
- Software: Anycubic Photon Workshop
- Connectivity: USB, Wi-Fi
- Technology: LCD-Based SLA
- Light Source: 405nm Wavelength
- XY Resolution: 0.05mm, 3840 x 2400 (4K)
- Z-Axis Resolution: 0.01mm
- Maximum Printing Speed: 60mm/h
- Rated Power: 120W
- Printer Size: 270 x 290 x 475mm
- Net Weight: 10.75kg
There’s no shortage of features on the Anycubic Photon Mono X (Amazon). Being a mid-range resin 3D printer, the build quality of the machine is more than appreciable.
It boasts a quality metal chassis and has an acrylic UV-blocking lid that lets you witness the magic happening inside. The build plate is a great size, allowing you to print railroading items such as oil drums, trailers, and even forklifts.
If you have the desire to 3D print airplane models or car models, this is an ideal 3D printer to use also.
A cool yet convenient feature is Mono X’s app control functionality. You can download the Anycubic application on your phone and remote monitor your 3D printer in action. The app even lets you control some basic functions.
For more stable prints, there’s an anti-backlash nut installed within the framework of this printer coupled with a dual-linear rail system on the Z-axis. Smooth and stable printing is a must for every kind of 3D printed part.
The Mono X also has an improved system of LED lighting that uses quartz lamp beads to achieve high precision. You’re not going to settle for anything less than the best buying the Photon Mono X for railroading models.
Customer Reviews of the Anycubic Photon Mono X
The Anycubic Photon Mono X enjoys a solid reputation on popular marketplaces like Amazon. At the time of writing, it has a 4.4/5.0 overall rating, and 72% of the people who bought it have left a 5-star review.
Users say that you can buy this machine with full confidence. It’s extremely easy to operate and is overall an excellent machine to work with.
Railroading models and general aviation airplanes can be made with the Mono X comfortably since it has a fairly decent build volume as well.
In addition, the Photon Workshop slicer is an effective software that comes loaded just for the Mono X with the included USB drive.
Anycubic has a vast community online so you won’t have much trouble finding answers when you need help. The Mono X is a fantastic MSLA 3D printer that can assist you greatly in making top-quality railroading models.
Pros of the Anycubic Photon Mono X
- You can get printing really quickly, all within 5 minutes since it’s mostly pre-assembled
- It’s really easy to operate, with simple touchscreen settings to get through
- The Wi-Fi monitoring app is great for checking on the progress and even changing settings if desired
- Has a very large build volume for a resin 3D printer
- Cures full layers at once, resulting in quicker printing
- Professional looking and has a sleek design
- Simple leveling system which stays sturdy
- Amazing stability and precise movements that lead to almost invisible layer lines in 3D prints
- Ergonomic vat design has a dented edge for easier pouring
- Build plate adhesion works well
- Produces amazing resin 3D prints consistently
- Growing Facebook Community with plenty of helpful tips, advice, and troubleshooting
Cons of the Anycubic Photon Mono X
- Only recognizes .pwmx files so you may be limited in your slicer choice
- The acrylic cover doesn’t sit in place too well and can move easily
- The touchscreen is a little flimsy
- Fairly pricey compared to other resin 3D printers
- Anycubic doesn’t have the best customer service track record
The Anycubic Photon Mono X is a mid-range MSLA 3D printer that offers high-quality prints on a reliable basis. It’s an amazing option for railroading models because of its spacious build volume, a good number of features, and smooth, stable 3D printing.
You can get yourself the Anycubic Photon Mono X directly from Amazon today.
The Flashforge Finder is a budget-friendly 3D printer, costing just about $300, but is surprisingly capable of making high-quality prints. The company Flashforge was established in 2011 and has built up quite the reputation for itself.
One of the many reasons I picked this machine to be included in this list is its incredible ease of use. For railroading models, its print size is enough to print N-scale models with structures, but the printer can also do smaller parts for any scale.
In the video above by DIY and Digital Railroad, the creator uses a Flashforge Finder to print the HO Scale Distribution Center. By the end of the print, you can see the first-rate quality of the model to get a clear idea of this printer’s potential.
Make no mistake, the affordable price tag of the Flashforge Finder does not mean that it is a cheaply-built 3D printer. In fact, it boasts a sturdy plastic alloy construction that ensures smooth and stable 3D printing.
Flashforge is a brand that has a sizable number of users all across the internet. You’re going to have plenty of forums and platforms that can guide you to learn more about 3D printing.
Let’s talk about the features and specifications now.
Features of the Flashforge Finder
- Fully-Enclosed 3D Printer
- Finder Ring Air Distribution Structure
- Slide-in Build Plate
- Smart, Interactive Touchscreen
- Low Energy Machine
- Ultra-Quiet Printing Operation
- Multiple Data Connectivity
- Assisted Leveling System
- Filament Run-Out Sensor
Specifications of the Flashforge Finder
- Package Size: 505 x 500 x 545mm
- Printer Size: 420 x 420 x 420mm
- Resolution: 0.1 ~ 0.2mm
- Build Volume: 140 x 140 x 140mm
- Filament Compatibility: PLA
- File Format: STL, OBJ → G file
- Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7/8, Mac OX
- Touch Screen: 3.5″, Including 16 languages
- Software: Flashprint, Simplify3D
- Extruder: 1
- Technology: Fused Deposition Modeling
- Positioning Accuracy: Z-Axis: 0.0025mm, XY Axis: 0.011mm
- Printing Accuracy: 0.1mm
- Layer Thickness: 0.1-0.5mm
- Nozzle Diameter: 0.4mm
- Shaft Speed: 30-150mm/s
- Nozzle Flow Rate: 24cc/h
- Power: AC: 100-240V~DC24V / 2.71A, 65W
The Flashforge Finder (Amazon) has a handful of nice, crisp, and convenient features that make it a solid option to purchase right away. In terms of connectivity, it is compatible with USB, flash drives, and even Wi-Fi.
The latter is something that not even some mid-range 3D printers have. You can easily use your phone to operate this 3D printer and cut corners to save time.
It has a slide-in build plate which comes out just as easily as it goes in. This means that the print removal process is a breeze, making sure all your railroading models aren’t affected by this post-processing step.
In addition, there’s a 3.5-inch color touchscreen that sports a clean user interface with large icons. You’re not going to have any trouble running the Flashforge Finder since it involves nothing complicated.
Although the bed leveling isn’t automatic, an intelligent and assisted leveling system is instead implemented. There’s going to be a beeper that’ll direct you to either loosen or tighten the leveling screws. In this way, the bed leveling is made quite painless.
Customer Reviews Flashforge Finder
The Flashforge Finder has a cool 4.2/5.0 overall rating on Amazon at the time of writing this article. Additionally, 72% of the people who bought it have left a 5-star review. It has also been labeled as “Amazon’s Choice.”
One user has praised Flashforge for its amazing customer service. They had accidentally clogged their nozzle, but over a dozen emails later, the support team made sure to clear the problem. Such an effort surely goes a long way.
Since the Finder comes for about $300, one wouldn’t expect the quality to be exceedingly good-looking. The truth couldn’t be further from that, as a lot of customers are extremely satisfied with their high-quality prints.
A customer bought this 3D printer specifically for their model railroading hobby. After about 30 printed items later, they couldn’t believe how effective and consistently the Flashforge Finder had performed.
For models that get too big for this 3D printer’s build platform, you can use the highly intuitive FlashPrint slicer to divide your print into multiple sections and print them accordingly.
Pros of the Flashforge Finder
- This is a very safe 3D printer to use, specially designed for kids and novices
- Simple setup & operation
- Beautiful, injection-molded frame
- Compact and organized wiring design
- Sleek, rounded frame for safety
- Touch-protected hot end
- The removable build plate is efficient and makes life a little easier.
- Relatively quiet 3D printer working at 50 decibels
- Multiple connectivities – Wi-Fi, U-stick, USB
Cons of the Flashforge Finder
- The build platform is quite small
- The built-in filament spool holder can only store 0.67Kg of filament
- You have to re-level the bed multiple times but once you understand the technique, the process becomes easier
If a highly practical, convenient, cost-effective, and user-friendly 3D printer is what interests you for your model railroading hobby, look no further than the genius of the Flashforge Finder.
You can get the Flashforge Finder from Amazon for your model creating activities today.
The Mars 2 Pro is a high-class MSLA 3D printer that comes from a well-grounded and experienced manufacturer who’s been in this industry for more than 5 years.
This machine is your affordable entry point into the vast and detailed world of resin 3D printing. Your railroading, airplane and car models can benefit greatly if you have something like the Mars 2 Pro by your side.
The original Elegoo Mars was reinvigorated with the launch of the Elegoo Mars. Now that the Mars 2 Pro has been released, we have some exciting new improvements to talk about along with a phenomenal 3D printing experience in general.
Features such as an in-built active carbon to get rid of toxic resin fumes and a lightweight, compact resin vat makes this machine well worth the purchase. The construction of this printer is also sturdy and thoughtfully put together.
Quality, precision, and details are the front-running reasons to buy the Mars 2 Pro. Model structures, utility sheds, and loading docks need to be dimensionally accurate, and the printer’s 2K monochrome LCD takes care of just that.
Features of the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro
- 6.08″ 2K Monochrome LCD
- CNC-Machined Aluminum Body
- Sanded Aluminum Build Plate
- Light & Compact Resin Vat
- Built-In Active Carbon
- COB UV LED Light Source
- ChiTuBox Slicer
- Multi-Language Interface
Specifications of the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro
- System: EL3D-3.0.2
- Slicer Software: ChiTuBox
- Technology: UV Photo Curing
- Layer Thickness: 0.01-0.2mm
- Printing Speed: 30-50mm/h
- Z-Axis Accuracy: 0.00125mm
- XY Resolution: 0.05mm (1620 x 2560)
- Build Volume: (129 x 80 x 160mm)
- Light Source: UV Integrated Light (wavelength 405nm)
- Connectivity: USB
- Weight: 13.67lbs (6.2kg)
- Operation: 3.5-Inch Touch Screen
- Power Requirements: 100-240V 50/60Hz
- Printer Dimensions: 200 x 200 x 410mm
The Elegoo Mars 2 Pro (Amazon) is a feature-packed machine with plenty of bang for your buck. The build quality is nothing but praiseworthy, and the printer has a sandblasted build plate that greatly improves adhesion.
It has a 6.08-inch monochrome LCD that delivers a more effective performance, takes significantly less time to cure layers of resin, and has a longer lifespan.
The 2K (2560 x 1440) HD resolution paves the way to sensational print quality, something you’ll love when working with railroading projects.
The resin vat of the Mars 2 Pro is made up of an aluminum alloy that makes it lightweight and rigid. Moreover, the printer ships with 2 extra FEP films for you to replace the original one if required.
The Mars 2 Pro also has a specialized COB UV LED light source for constant light emissions and equal heat dissipation throughout the whole print. This considerably bumps up the quality of models.
Customer Reviews of the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro
At the time of writing, the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro is doing exceptionally well on Amazon with a whopping 4.7/5.0 overall rating. Not only this but 86% of the people who bought it have left a 5-star review.
Where detail and precision are required, people highly recommend the Mars 2 Pro. Its ease of use is only shadowed by the awesome features it has – both of which attribute to a top-notch printing experience.
The 0.05mm XY-resolution is perfect for all those small railroading models where high quality is necessary. It’s for this reason as well that the Mars 2 Pro is commonly picked up for miniatures and figures.
People working at established companies where high-end and expensive resin 3D printers are used have also pointed out that the Mars 2 Pro is nothing to be taken lightly. If not better, but this printer’s capabilities easily match those that cost more than $1000.
Customers have been happy and content with their purchase of this machine. It is exactly what they were looking for in terms of price, features, quality, and reliability. You could have the same buying the Mars 2 Pro.
Pros of the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro
- Outstanding printing quality
- Fast layer curing time
- Inclusion of an angled plate holder
- Rapid printing process
- Large build volume
- Less to no maintenance
- High accuracy and precision
- Robust build and sturdy mechanism
- Supports multiple languages
- Long lifespan and high reliability
- Stable performance during long-term printing
- Comes with extra FEP sheets
Cons of the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro
- LCD screen lacks a protective glass
- Loud, noisy cooling fans
- Z-axis does not have a limiter switch
- A slight decrease in pixel-density
- No top-down removable vat
The Elegoo Mars 2 Pro is an MSLA machine that succeeds to impress in every area. It’s affordable, works consistently day in day out, and is a perfect option for the model railroading hobby.
Check out the Elegoo Mars 2 Pro on Amazon today for a great budget resin 3D printer that delivers quality.
The Mega X is another remarkable 3D printer from the Chinese manufacturer Anycubic, but this time, it’s an FDM machine instead of an SLA 3D printer which the company is typically famous for.
Right off the bat, the build volume is one attribute that stands out the most for this 3D printer. After all, the name “Mega X” wasn’t given to this machine for no reason.
Apart from the huge 300mm x 300mm x 305mm build volume, there are multiple other positive aspects of this printer that makes it a great fit for railroading models and everything of the like.
It comes packaged compactly and also includes a bunch of extras with it, such as a 1kg filament spool, a replacement hot end, and other utilitarian tools.
On top of everything else, the quality of prints that the Mega X produces is just magnificent. This printer does not compromise on quality, allowing you to 3D print some great models.
Let’s see how the features are specifications look on this machine.
Features of the Anycubic Mega X
- Large Build Volume
- Rapid Heating Ultrabase Print Bed
- Filament Runout Detector
- Z-Axis Dual Screw Rod Design
- Resume Print Function
- Rigid Metal Frame
- 5-Inch LCD Touch Screen
- Multiple Filament Support
- Powerful Titan Extruder
Specifications of the Anycubic Mega X
- Build Volume: 300 x 300 x 305mm
- Printing Speed: 100mm/s
- Layer Height/Print Resolution: 0.05 – 0.3mm
- Maximum Extruder Temperature: 250°C
- Maximum Bed Temperature: 100°C
- Filament Diameter: 1.75mm
- Nozzle Diameter: 0.4mm
- Extruder: Single
- Connectivity: USB A, MicroSD card
- Bed Levelling: Manual
- Build Area: Open
- Compatible Printing Materials: PLA, ABS, HIPS, Wood
The Anycubic Mega X (Amazon) has plenty of features to its name. You can say goodbye to vibrations, wobbles, and unstable prints after purchasing this 3D printer.
It uses a rigid metal frame that’s accompanied by other high-quality parts to ensure a smooth printing operation. Adding to the precision is the printer’s dual-screw rod design for the Z-axis and a dual-sideways design for the Y-axis.
To make sure that your railroading models such as locomotives and oil centers are printed at the best level of quality, you can try out the Anycubic Mega X and it won’t disappoint you.
It also has a heated built plate with a patented microporous coating to grip models strongly and promote bed adhesion. After cooling the temperature down a bit, you’ll notice how easy it is to remove prints off the print bed.
The printer has an auto-resume function as well, that picks up the progress right where you left off last. In addition, it also has a TFT touch screen that’s much more responsive and fluid than most other 3D printers.
Customer Reviews of the Anycubic Mega X
The Anycubic Mega X has a 4.2/5.0 overall rating at the time of writing this article. What’s more, is that 62% of the people who bought it have left a 5-star review.
Customers love that they can try out different types of filaments with their Mega X. Doing so increases the kinds of prints you can make, either flexible ones using TPU or TPE or intensely mechanical ones by using Polycarbonate or Nylon.
One user writes that they use this printer to make parts for their railroad, and every time they set down to make a print, the results are breathtaking. The Mega X is solid, durable, trouble-free and a great recommendation for beginners.
More and more people are purchasing this printer for their model railroading hobby, and I strongly think that you should as well. It’s easy to assemble and comes ready for action right out of the box.
Anycubic has severely outdone themselves with this product of theirs. It prints fast and high-quality, requires little to no maintenance, and is more than capable to help you out with your railroading projects consistently.
Pros of the Anycubic Mega X
- Overall an easy-to-use 3D printer with features perfect for beginners
- Large build volume means more freedom for bigger projects
- Solid, premium build quality
- User-friendly touchscreen interface
- Very competitive price for a high-quality printer
- Great quality prints straight out of the box without necessary upgrades
- Improved packaging to ensure safe delivery to your door
Cons of the Anycubic Mega X
- Low maximum temperature of the print bed
- Noisy operation
- Buggy resume print function
- No auto-leveling – manual leveling system
The Anycubic Mega X is a workhorse that packs a hefty number of features for a great price. Stunning details and amazing results are what you’re going to get purchasing this printer, making the investment definitely worth it.
If you’re looking for a reliable filament 3D printer that can create some awesome railroad models, as well as car and airplane models, you can get the Anycubic Mega X from Amazon today.
Coming back to the realm of resin 3D printers now, we have another solid machine that strikes the perfect balance between affordability and premium performance.
The Photon Mono SE is one more resin 3D printer making its way onto the list. At the manufacturing end, we have Anycubic to thank yet again for this phenomenal piece of tech.
It incorporates a 6-inch monochrome LCD with 2K (2560 x 1620) resolution to help you make prints that look spectacular by all means.
In addition, the matrix parallel light source distributes heat evenly throughout the print, making sure the exposure is constant to maintain a top-quality standard.
It takes 1-2 seconds for the Photon Mono SE to print one layer. In the grand scheme of things, you’ll love how quickly this machine can create parts for your railroading projects and everything that follows.
Let’s dive in further with the features and specifications.
Features of the Anycubic Photon Mono SE
- 6” 2K Monochrome LCD
- New Matrix Parallel Light Source
- Fast Printing Speed
- Wi-Fi Supported App Remote Control
- UV Cooling System
- Easy Bed Leveling System
- Own Anycubic Slicing Software
- High-Performance Z-Axis
- High-Quality Power Supply
- Attractive Design
- Brushed Aluminum Platform
- Air Filter System
Specifications of the Anycubic Photon Mono SE
- System Series: Photon
- Display Screen: 6.08-Inch Touch Screen
- Technology: LCD Based SLA (Stereolithography)
- Printer Type: Resin 3D Printer
- Operating System: Windows, Mac OS X
- Layer Height: 10+ Microns
- Build Volume: 130mm, 78mm, 160mm (L, W, H)
- Max Printing Speed: 80mm/h
- Compatible Materials: 405nm UV Resin
- Z-Axis Positioning Accuracy: 0.01mm
- XY Resolution: 0.051mm 2560 x 1620 Pixels
- File Types: STL
- Power: 55W
- Assembly: Fully Assembled
- Connectivity: USB
- Printer Dimensions: (L)220mm x (W)200mm x (H)400mm
- Third-Party Materials: Yes
- Slicer Software: Anycubic Photon Workshop
- Weight: 8.2 KG (18.07 Pounds)
The features list looks great on the Anycubic Photon Mono SE (Amazon). It employs an easy bed leveling technique that only demands the tightening of a couple of screws.
Furthermore, there’s a UV cooling system to deliver better performance and increase the lifespan of the 3D printer. You can also download the Anycubic app on your phone and control the machine remotely without any issue.
Many users experience bed adhesion problems where their parts have trouble sticking to the build plate. With the Mono SE’s brushed aluminum platform that superbly promotes bed adhesion, that hassle is a thing of the past.
For everyone in the model railroading hobby, there’s obviously a lot that needs to be printed for a proper railroad project. Therefore, the quality of parts needs to be at its best, and that is why the Mono SE has a dual linear rail on the Z-axis to provide utmost stability and high quality.
What further reduces the resonance and vibration is the Mono SE’s CNC machined aluminum body and the all-metal one-piece housing. You’re looking at a well-built 3D printer that does not compromise on important factors.
Customer Reviews of the Anycubic Photon Mono SE
At the time of writing, the Anycubic Photon Mono SE enjoys an impressive 4.7/5.0 overall rating on Amazon. Moreover, 80% of the people who bought it have left a 5-star review.
Effortless assembly, painless bed leveling, and easy operation are three of the most loved aspects of the Mono SE. These are further emboldened by the top-notch quality of prints that the printer reliably makes.
Small-scale items such as pipes, railroad bumps, and model structures can be housed easily within the 130 x 78 x 160mm build volume of this 3D printer, and you can also make bigger objects just as comfortably.
Customers have also said that the metal frame of the printer gives it a premium look and feel. The Mono SE prints at faster speeds than other resin 3D printers, and this is something that people have pointed out appreciably.
Anycubic’s own slicer software is a great alternative to popular names such as ChiTuBox. It’s user-friendly, and has a good number of features to help you find your way with this 3D printer.
Pros of the Anycubic Photon Mono SE
- Provides a high precision with a minimum layer height of 10 microns (2K resolution).
- The platform can be easily calibrated using a single nut
- The system includes high-performance air filters
- Its high printing speed is about 3-4 times faster than an RGB screen
- The printer has a reduced exposure time to 1 second
- Easy to use interface
- Allow you to remotely adjust the print settings, control the print operations, and monitor the progress.
- System packing includes other necessary accessories such as handles, scrappers, masks, gloves, funnels, etc.
- This 3D printer does include a Wi-Fi Module or Antenna
- Includes a high-quality metal resin vat
Cons of the Anycubic Photon Mono SE
- The lid is non-removable
- The build volume is relatively small
- The proprietary file type is limited to certain slicers and may mean extra steps to get your desired model
The Anycubic Photon Mono SE is a terrific option to go with for railroading models and projects. At a price point of about $400, you get some truly high-quality features and incredible build quality to create prints without a worry in the world.
Get yourself the Photon Mono SE from Amazon for fast resin prints and great quality.
Qidi Tech is a China-based manufacturer that has been in the 3D printing industry for several years now. Their experience and focus have led them to make affordable and high-quality 3D printers, and the X-Pro is proof of exactly that.
The Qidi Tech X-Pro makes the cut at somewhere under $500 and is equipped with a dual-extruder for multi-purpose 3D printing. It also has a 6mm aviation-grade aluminum build platform for great bed adhesion.
Features like these can come in handy when it boils down to making railroading models such as semi-trucks and trailers. It also arrives at your doorstep fully assembled and ready to print right out of the box.
The X-Pro’s build quality is dictated by high-quality parts. After all, this printer hails from a company that’s well-known to design premium FDM 3D printers.
This machine has killer looks as well. It occupies a minimal footprint and is built compactly. For more ease of use, the filament spool holder has been mounted on top of the printer so it does not get in the way of the print process.
Let’s find out more about this printer with the features and specifications.
Features of the Qidi Tech X-Pro
- 4.3-Inch Touchscreen
- Exclusive & Fast Customer Support
- Aviation-Grade Aluminum Build Platform
- Magnetic and Removable Print Bed Plate
- Upgraded Metal Support Rod & Other Parts
- Wide Filament Compatibility
- High Precision, 50 Micron Resolution
- Dual Extruder Assembly
- Power Off Resume Function
- Qidi Print Slicing Software
- Fully Assembled Enclosed Machine
- Consistent Cooling
- Professional, Compact Look
Specifications of the Qidi Tech X-Pro
- Display Type: LCD Touch Screen
- Technology: Fused Deposition Molding (FDM)
- Print Area/Build Volume: 230 x 150 x 150mm
- Print Precision: X/Y/Z 10/10/< 1 micron
- Hot Bed Temperature: 120°C
- Max Extruder Temperature: 250°C
- Extruder Type: Dual
- Nozzle Size: 0.4mm
- Layer Height: 50-400 microns
- Printer Chamber: Completely Enclosed
- Parts or Assembly: Fully Assembled
- Printer’s Frame: Aluminum
- Printing Speed: 60 to 150mm/s
- Feeder System: Direct Drive
- Print Recovery: Yes/Available
- Mechanical Arrangement: Cartesian XY-Head
- Filament Printing Materials: PLA, ABS, PETG, TPU
- Filament Diameter: 1.75mm
- Print Bed: Heated Aluminum Bed
- Print Bed Plate: Magnetic, Removable
- Bed Leveling System: Assisted Manual Calibration
- External Connectivity: Ethernet, USB, Wi-Fi
The Qidi Tech X-Pro is chock-full of features. Starting off with its design, the manufacturer has incorporated a 4.3-inch touch screen to help users control and navigate around the interface of this FDM machine.
Next, there’s the power recovery feature that automatically resumes printing when your printer shuts down accidentally. Since many railroading models take multiple hours to finish, this is a handy feature that makes sure you don’t lose your progress.
The Qidi Print slicer software is somewhat a breath of fresh air. It’s intuitive, easy to understand, and has a bevy of features for users to make the best of. If, for instance, it doesn’t suit you, Cura is always a great option to go with.
To talk about quality and precision, the X-Pro doesn’t fail to impress. Parts come out looking stunningly detailed, and this is something you’ll love about this 3D printer.
Topping it off is Qidi Tech’s spectacular customer support service team that is well-experienced and always provides go-to solutions for customers’ queries. By buying the X-Pro, you’ll be making the right choice.
Customer Reviews of the Qidi Tech X-Pro
The Qidi Tech X-Pro (Amazon) has an awesome 4.6/5.0 overall rating on Amazon at the time of writing, and 82% of the people who purchased it have left a 5-star review lauded with praise.
Customers have commented that the X-Pro’s assembly is outright effortless and you can probably get everything set up in around 30 minutes.
One user mentioned that the Qidi Print slicer software is compatible with macOS as well, and this something not many slicers are compatible with.
After having the X-Pro for about 6 months or so, people have all things positive to say about this FDM machine. It requires low maintenance and is a genuinely stable 3D printer.
Some printers show promise at first but break down after you use them for a while. That’s not the case with the X-Pro nor Qidi Tech, since this company has a knack for putting consistency and reliability above everything else.
Pros of the Qidi Tech X-Pro
- It is easy to set up as it is fully assembled
- The company provides a well-experienced and responsive technical support team.
- Low maintenance 3D printer, perfect for hobbyists
- The device offers no harm to the ecosystem
- Specifically customized and easy to understand and use the software
- Supports multiple and special, mostly used filaments such as PLA, ABS, PETG, and TPU.
- If the printer faces a power outage, it will start the printing process from the exact point where it was stopped.
- The printer will shut down automatically once the printing process is completed.
- A highly recommended machine at an affordable price
- The printer is compact and provides an appealing, graceful look.
- Can be easily purchased from Amazon with a guaranteed fast and safe delivery.
Cons of the Qidi Tech X-Pro
- The printer has a relatively small build volume
- The bed leveling system is manual
- Unlike the X-Plus and the X-Max, the X-Pro has a single Z-axis platform support
- No filament run-out sensor
- You’ll have to assemble the cooling fan of the printer yourself
The Qidi Tech X-Pro is a brilliant FDM 3D printer that packs a lot of bang for your buck. It is jam-packed with features, boasts high-quality prints, and is a top recommendation for railroading models and projects.
You can find the Qidi Tech X-Pro from Amazon for a competitive price.